Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Are Audiences Lazy???

Or are audiences today too impatient? My short movie is only 8 minutes long (!!), yet I've already had some people tell me that they think it's too long. Too long!!!???

Man, whatever happened to the days of the 1970s, when movies like China Syndrome and Klute could unfold at a nice leisurely pace and nobody complained. Now, movies like Brokeback Mountain get attacked for being "too slow" and "boring" because they actually take time to reveal characters to us. Have audiences gotten so used to being assaulted MTV-video-style that we get antsy if things don't move along at a breakneck pace? I think so. I think audiences today are L-A-Z-Y. I actually hear people saying that 2-hour-long movies are too long. Anything over 90 minutes is now looked at skeptically. Man, am I part of a dying breed of people who actually love big epic Hollywood movies? Give me the Lord of the Rings extended cuts any day over the original theatrical releases. I was thrilled to hear that Peter Jackson added 45 minutes of footage back into his recent remake of King Kong. It's in the slower, more subtle stuff that the real meat of the movie comes out. That's when you get to know the characters, instead of just watching them DO things.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't care. I think everyone else is just lazy. TRUE film lovers want as much of a good thing as possible. They don't complain that there's too much of something that good.

Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm just going to keep on seeing long movies, and my next film short might even be 10 minutes long. Uh oh!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Hi Ken. We just saw your movie and we're loving it. Congratulations! As for the length of the film and the laziness of the audience...well, that's a whole different subject.

First off, your film is NOT too long. Whew! We're glad we got that out of the way.

However, the audience is indeed lazy. At least the majority of them. It's the sign of the times, my friend. Most people, especially Americans, have a short attention span nowadays. Having to follow a story line longer than three minutes is way too much work.

Besides, we now live in a world of instant gratification and where anything trendy is already outdated by the time one has finished reading this sentence.

But who cares if they're missing out. It's their loss. Hopefully there will be more Ken Knox Masterpieces coming our way. And we'll be watching them all. Keep 'em coming.

1:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home